Oral health is important and we have thousands of brands of toothpaste trying to take care of our teeth. But is it really good for our health? The thing is that, the toothpaste brands all over the world try to use various chemicals to keep their quality intact.
Now, while these chemicals might be good for our teeth, they are hazardous for our body. They can really mess up our system. The toxins present in this toothpaste are sodium lauryl sulfate, triclosan, propylene glycol, diethanolamine, and microbeads. They even contain aspartame, an artificial sweetener that is quite hazardous for our teeth.
So, what is the way out of it?
The best way to deal with this situation is to go down the natural way. There are many products found in nature which can be used to maintain your dental health. And the best part is, we can make it in our own homes. The only things needed are extra-virgin olive oil, eggshell powder, and activated carbon. It doesn’t corrode our teeth and can help in safeguarding our oral health.
Activated carbon is a natural whitener that fights off plaque and helps in maintaining the pH level of our body.
Eggshell powder is full of calcium and helps in strengthening and remineralization of our teeth.
Finally, olive oil helps prevent bad breath, cavities, and maintains our overall oral hygiene.
However, you should consult your dentist if you have dental caps before using this formula.
- ½ teaspoon of activated carbon
- 1 tbsp of eggshell powder
- 1 tbsp of extra-virgin coconut oil
How to make:
- First put the activated charcoal in a bowl
- Add the eggshell powder
- Pour olive oil into the mixture
- Stir the entire mixture with the help of a non-metal spatula till you obtain a paste-like substance
- Your toothpaste is done. Keep it in an airtight non-metal container.
- How To Make Use Of It:
- Using a spoon or a spatula, put a bit of toothpaste on your brush.
- Now, brush your teeth as you do, focusing on both the front and the back sides.
- Once your brushing is over, wash your mouth with moderately warm water.
- Use this paste as you do with any commercial toothpaste.
- Test it out
- It’s always better to test out whether your toothpaste is perfect or not. The best way to do so is in the following manner:
- Take a pH strip and check the pH level of your toothpaste. If it’s 7 or higher, then it’s good to use.
The toothpaste will not be abrasive as it does not have baking soda.
Activated carbon can be bought from the market in powder or capsule form. If you get it as a tablet, crush it to form a powder.
You can use the eggshell powder that you make at home.
If you want a sure step to kill oral bacteria, then add a sprinkle of Himalayan salt in the mixture.
The toothpaste will have a grainy texture, so you will be able to remove any microfilm formed on your teeth.
You don’t need to refrigerate this paste. Keep it in your medicine cabinet if you want.
It can last for a number of months.
If you see that it is getting dry, then add a little bit of melted olive oil and stir it well before using.
Make this toothpaste and have great oral health.