Fluid retention is characterized by accumulated water in the tissues, caused by the imbalance in the liquid levels in the body.
The human body is a complex system of hormones, which affect the liquid levels in the body, which explains why the excessive consumption of water can never be a problem since it will be eliminated through the sweat and urine.
Yet, fluid retention is most often a result of the following causes:
The insufficient intake of water dehydrates the body, which retains water in order to survive and thus causes swellings in the tissues.
Excessive sodium intake
The excessive intake of sodium and the reduced water intake often cause fluid retention.
Vitamin B6 deficiency
Fluid retention is often a result of the lack of vitamin B6 in the body, so make sure you consume more bananas, tuna, potatoes, sunflower seeds, pistachios, or chicken, which are the best sources of this vitamin.
Magnesium is one of the vital minerals for our overall health. If its levels are low, one might suffer from fluid retention. Therefore, the richest sources of this mineral include spinach, avocado, nuts, dried fruits, and whole grains.
Potassium deficiency often causes improper functioning organs and fluid imbalance and retention as one of its roles is to regulate the water balance in the body.
Processed foods are high in sodium and sugar, which are among the main edema causes. These are some of the most effective ways to prevent fluid retention:
- Consume more vegetables and fruits, as they are rich in flavonoids, which eliminate the excess water from the body
- Exercise regularly to boost the circulation in the legs, by compressing the muscles in the veins and helping the excess fluids to leave the body through urine and sweat
- To reduce the swelling, elevate the legs to rest them, and to accelerate the movement of fluids.
- Reduce the intake of salt
- Avoid showering with too hot water to prevent dehydration
- Do not wear tight clothes as they might impair the circulation.
Hopefully useful and don't forget to share with your friends. Thank you